Dating Abuse: Take the Quiz
Are you being bullied in a dating relationship? Answer the following questions:
- Does your dating partner blame you for how he/she feels?
- Does he/she put down your accomplishments or goals?
- Does he/she tell you which friends you can see?
- Do you keep things from him/her so as not to upset him/her?
- Are you afraid of his/her temper or to disagree with him/her?
- Does he/she tell you that you are nothing without him/her?
- Does he/she keep checking up on you several times a night? Or showing up unexpectedly wherever you are?
- Does he/she yell at you or make fun of you in front of your friends?
- Has he/she wrongfully and repeatedly accused you of flirting or making out with other people?
- Does he/she ever treat you roughly – grab, push, pinch, shove or kick you to “get your attention,” throw things at you or hit you?
- Does he/she try to keep you from leaving after a fight? Or leave you somewhere after a fight to “teach you a lesson”?
- Have you been frightened by his/her violence towards others?
- Does he/she play with guns or knives or use them to protect himself/herself against other people?
- Does he/she threaten with a weapon (gun, knife), show a weapon or carry a weapon?
Any “yes” response is cause for concern and discussion. Get help! Speak with a school counselor, call a hotline, or talk with a trusted adult.